USER MANUAL FOR AUTOSEND
Table of contents:
How to configure your server
How it works
Tips and examples
FEATURES:Autosend "File sharing by email": a program written in java so it can run on all OS, the new way of sharing files, for people who can not use web / irc / ftp... Some people can only communicate with each other’s via email... Autosend is for them! Some people want to share files but are afraid to set up a ftp server, Autosend is for them! Some people want to share files but only to friends or members, as stealth as possible... Some people can only connect to their office HQ via mail... Autosend is the ideal way of file sharing for many of us.
Autosend allows sharing files on your computer through regular email. It is an automatic file mailer. Just select the folder(s) you want to share, with whom, set up an email account for the server and it's done, your virtual community can pick files from you, or send you some. People just make requests by sending a mail to the server email address. The subject of the mail is the name of the requested file. Autosend checks for new mails periodically in its mailbox (a new mailbox you have just created for this use) and replies automatically with the requested file as attachment. Autosend can also receive files sent by others (uploads), answer to some commands or pick up files for you on internet. Simple as this!
Autosend also adds a lot of features to let you control who can use your server. If you do not want everybody to use your server just set up a "members list". The member’s list is a list of email addresses of people who can use you server (individual addresses or whole domains). All non-members will receive a custom answer to their request but no file (unless you want to share some other files with non members, this is also possible). You can also set a ignore list, all people who fit the ignore list criteria won't receive any answer to their requests. The ignore list can be a list of individuals email addresses or even a whole domain to ban.
If you want to be known on the Internet, you can use Autosend to share your creations and make your server public: your server will be listed on Autosend webpage, a guarantee to increase your traffic.
For more security, only the directories you chose (and their sub-directories) are shared and you can also set extensions filters in order to share only some kind of files (i.e. .zip, .mp3, .jpg...). You can also set up a maximum limit of files that can be sent to one person per day in order to prevent abuse and preserve your bandwidth.
Some tools are also available in order to make some statistics: a log file is available, and all activity is logged. You can get all email addresses of people who took files from you, what files, when... This information is then available in any spreadsheet.
Autosend can split big files into smaller pieces automatically, it is important because most mail servers limit the size of attachments that can be sent or received (Autosend can split files and provide a batch file to reassemble them or it can use Winrar (a very good alternative to Winzip) to make self extractible files if this software is installed on your computer).
Autosend can also answer to commands (?list: requests the list of all files that are shared, ?lisf: list of the directories shared, ?list nameofadirectory: list of the files shared in the specified directory, ?mkd nameofadirectory: creates a directory if you allow uploads, ?del nameofafile or nameofadirectory: deletes a file or directory, ?find xxxx sends the list of all shared files which names include xxxx, ?exec execute a file remotely, ?new sends the list of files created on the current day). The different lists of files can be sent in HTML, which allows the recipient to make requests with one mouse click only. A html page of all shared files can also be created and put on internet for easy sharing.
All texts that will be sent by Autosend within emails can be customized in your own language. The interface can also be modified thanks to language packs and nice skins. It is also possible to send mails to members, or receive private messages directly from Autosend.
You can also upload files to the server if you have sufficient access-rights, of course only files that match the extensions filters can be uploaded.
Autosend can launch your dial-up connection to do its job and disconnect when it is done. This feature can only work under Windows NT, 2000 or XP. To minimize your online time, Autosend can look for the files while it is offline and just go online to send them, it will save you a lot of money if you are on dial up.
A preview mode exists if you wish to associate a picture to a file: for estate agents, graphic artists... It is possible to associate a little preview picture for each file in the list of files sent to a customer. It is also possible to add your firm logo at the top of the list.
If you wish to give access to some files to your employees, customers, or whoever you want, without giving everybody access to the same files, Autosend allows to specify specific folders for each of your "members".
Folder monitoring lets you specify one or more folders to monitor for a user. When a new file is created or a file is modified in this folder, the user receives the list of new or modified files automatically. Then he can request this file easily.
All features can be used within a 30 days evaluation period (except firm logo at top of the lists). Afterwards you have to register or uninstall the program.
Read all this help carefully before creating your own server. If you are not sure how to configure your server, do not hesitate to contact me or see the forums on Autosend webpage.
CONFIGURATIONBefore anything else, you need an email account for Autosend, the program will use it to receive requests and answer them. This email address must be dedicated to the program, do not use your personal address or you might lose personal emails. The account needs to support POP or IMAP and SMTP, you can create such accounts for free here or Gmail.
- Start the program by clicking on the "Start Autosend" shortcut
- Fill all panes of the configuration panel according to the explanations given below
Screenshots taken with various skins
- Choose account to edit: Autosend now handles several email accounts to check. Each email account is a different server so you can share different files with different people with only one Autosend running. To create a new account press the "New account" button and fill all the panes. Some parameters are shared between all accounts, that is why they will appear disabled (in grey) if you choose an account different from the "autosend.ini" (the default account). The "Remove account" button will obviously remove the current selected account (and the corresponding .ini). The default account can not be removed. One account is sufficient for most of us.
- Choose your language: choose the language for Autosend. You can also customize the program by adding new translations. The translation packs are located in the directory LanguagePacks. Files can be edited with any text editor; to be recognized by the program the language pack must be named resources_xx.properties (with xx being in this list). Thanks to send me the file if you are brave enough to make a new translation. For the moment, available packs are English, French and Spanish.
- Authorized extensions: put here all the extensions of files you want to share, it is mandatory to put at least one extension or no file will be shared. Put all your extensions separated by commas (',') but no spaces. A ? can replace any character. * CAN NOT be used. Examples: .mp?,.zip,.rar,.r??,.exe. If you want to share all files with 3 or 4 letters long extensions put .???,.????
- Aggressive extensions control: mails subjects can sometimes be cropped over intenet. To avoid deleting genuine requests, Autosend checks every mail, even if the subject does not seem to comply with the allowed extensions. To delete directly requests with bad extensions, check the box. In case you receive a lot of spam, check the box also, the processing time will be a lot reduced.
- Add list in answers to bad requests: if a file requested is not found and this box is checked then the list of all shared files will be added to the answer.
- Display files size when sending lists: if this box is checked the users will see the size of the files when they ask for a list (by a ?list, ?new or a ?find).
- Add path in files lists: if checked, Autosend will send the relative path to a file in the lists of shared files. This can be useful if you intend to share several files with the same name in different subdirectories. See the examples of use on the website for more information.
- Start minimized: check this box if you want the program to start iconified. If your OS supports the system tray (ie Microsoft Windows), the program will just appear in the tray, near the clock. To reverse this, just browse the "Preferences" menu of the main window and uncheck the box. Note: this does not mean that your server will start automatically when your computer starts.
- Check for new version on startup: check this box if you want the program to check if a new version is available on stratup.
- Make your server public: if this box is checked (and you share some files with the entire world and you authorize ?list) then Autosend sends me a mail and your server address will be published on this website. Your server may not appear automatically, it can take several hours to be processed. This feature is designed for people who want to share their files with the masses. If your server appears in the "public servers" webpage and you do not want it to, just send me an email and I will remove it. Servers are turned public automatically when the 30 days evaluation period ends. To avoid this, register your copy of Autosend.
- Max number of files sent per day: if equal to -1 then the feature is disabled. Otherwise you have to specify the maximum number of files that can be sent daily to one email address. If the value is not -1 Autosend won't reply to someone who requests a file that Autosend just sent him (it is to deal with people asking several times for the same file). If someone reaches the daily quota, he receives a reply which text is "Text to send if max files per day is reached" (see the "Texts" tab) but no file is sent. This value is set to 10 in evaluation mode.
- Winrar installation directory: put here the Winrar installation directory on your computer or leave blank if you do not have Winrar installed on your computer. You can get the directory easily with the "Browse" button. Winrar is a powerful compression utility, you can download a demo version at http://www.rarsoft.com. If Winrar is not installed Autosend will use a built-in file splitter to split big files into smaller ones, the maximum size of a split file is set in the appropriate box of the SMTP properties panel. Files are split into x pieces and can be reassemble by running the given batch file (double click the .bat).
- Logo to add to lists: enter here the path to a picture (gif or jpeg). This picture will appear at the top of the lists of shared files sent by the program. (Registered users only)
- Date format: choose the one that is convenient for you. Just ask me if you want another format to be added here.
- Time format: "HH:mm" (Hour in day [0-23]), "hh:mm a" (Hour in am/pm [1-12]), "KK:mm a" (Hour in am/pm [0-11]), "kk:mm" (Hour in day [1-24]). Just ask me if you want another format to be added here.
Incoming mail properties
- Pop or IMAP : choose the protocol you want to use
- Server email address is the address where your members send their requests, i.e. where Autosend checks for new incoming mails.
- POP login and password are the parameters to get your mail from the POP server (incoming mail).
- POP server and POP port are your settings for the incoming mail (port is usually 110).
- IMAP login and IMAP password are the parameters to get your mail from the IMAP server (incoming mail).
- IMAP server and IMAP port are your settings for the incoming mail (port is usually 143).
- IMAP folder: is the folder where the mails arrive (default: INBOX)
- Secure connection: None, TLS, SSL. Depending on the account you are using, check the right option. Change also the port number accordingly.
- Polling time = time in minutes between 2 mail checks, set it to at least 5 minutes.
Outgoing mail properties
You need to create an email address just for Autosend use, DO NOT use your personal address to test Autosend or the program will delete all your messages. This account will be use to collect the requests and reply. Advanced users can use different addresses to receive and send email, but you should first try with the same account for both ways.- SMTP server and SMTP port are your settings for the outgoing mail (port is normally 25).
You can try to check the box "Use in priority the built-in SMTP server". This will avoid using your SMTP server, mails will be directly sent to the recipient box.
- Address used to send mails is the address that will be shown in the reply to a request, for non experimented users, just put the email address used by your Autosend server. Some SMTP servers only accept to send mails if the sender belongs to their domain. (i.e. the "Address used to send mails" belongs to the domain, or is same as the POP, or they check the ip-address). See the tips page on Autosend web site to see how to create a free POP and SMTP account.
- Use in priority the built-in SMTP server: if checked, Autosend will try to deliver mails directly to the servers of the mail recipients. This means that Autosend will only use the SMTP server given as the last resort. Even if you use the built-in SMTP server, enter your ISP SMTP server in the corresponding field. In order to fight spam, more and more providers block mails sent directly to their users, in this case Autosend will send the reply through your SMTP server and it will reach its destination.
- Max attachment size is the maximum size for an attachment that your SMTP server can handle (in kilobytes). If a file which size is bigger than this is requested, then the file will be split. If someone requests a file with the <size> option then this size is taken into account if it is smaller than your server's one otherwise the server size is taken into account. If you do not know your server limits just put 2000 (2000000 bytes, average allowed limit).
- Send as HTML: if this box is checked all messages sent by Autosend will look like HTML pages. This is comfortable for answers to ?list, you will be able to make a new request with only one mouse click. Moreover web and mail addresses in the "texts" will appear as hyperlinks.
- SMTP authentication: if your account requires SMTP authentication, choose the adequate way to authenticate yourself: same login / password as the POP account or custom values.
- Secure connection: None, TLS, SSL. Depending on the account you are using, check the right option. Change also the port number accordingly.
Members / Folders
- @ (Everybody): the folders that you will share with this account will be available to any one except people in the "ignore list". If you want to share files only with "members" do not add any folder for this address.
- @Members (members default): the folders that you will share with this account will be available to any member. If you want to set different folders for each member, do not add any folder for this address.
- Addresses: except the two special accounts described above, you can add all sort of addresses (individual or domains) to your members list. The order is important, that is why you can move an address up or down. The order is important if you want to share one folder with a domain and another folder with an individual belonging to that domain. In this case the individual address must be above the domain address.
- Folders: caution, folders names are CasE SeNsItIVe so be careful when editing a folder name. Subfolders are automatically shared, you do not need to add them.
Uploaders / Folders
In this panel you will attribute one folder to users for uploads purpose. The upload directory can be different for each user or shared. Any upload sent will appear in the "upload directory" corresponding to the user. The user can create subdirectories by adding a path in its upload (i.e. the subject will be >up<sub\myupload.zip) or by sending a command to create a directory (?mkd sub). If you do not want to allow uploads on your server just leave this panel blank (no folder for @ (everybody) and no uploaders in the list). See the "How it works" section to know how to upload files.- @ (everybody): the folder that you will set with this account will be available to any one. If you only want to have a closed group of uploaders, do not add any folder for this address.
- @uploaders (uploaders default): the folder that you will set with this account will be the default directory for all uploaders in the list. If you want to set a different folder for each member, do not add any folder for this address.
- Addresses: except the two special accounts described above, you can add all sort of addresses (individual or domains) to your uploaders list. The order is important, that is why you can move an address up or down. The order is important if you want to set one folder for a domain and another folder for an individual belonging to that domain. In this case the individual address must be above the domain address.
- Folders: caution, folders names are CasE SeNsItIVe so be careful when editing a folder name.
The ignore list let you specify people who won't receive any answer to their requests. Note that usual spam won't meet the extensions filter so they will be deleted automatically.- Addresses: this list is composed of e-mail addresses, or part of address. If you do not want to set a ignore list just leave the list blank, all queries will be answered. The ignore list can also ban a whole domain: for example you can add to your ignorelist "@spam.org" (without quotes). Anyone with address containing @spam.org and not being a member won't receive an answer.
If an address is found in the members list then it won't be searched in the ignore list. So if you do not want non members to receive any answer to their request, just put "@" (without "") in your ignore list. In this case only members will see your server.
Autosend, depending on the requests made by the users, sends these texts. You can customize them as you want.- Text to send with file found: is the text that will be sent with the attached file if the one who made the request is a member (or there is no members list) and the file was found in the specified directory (or subdirectories)
- Text to send if file not found: is the text that will be sent if the someone made a request but the requested file was not found in the specified directory (or subdirectories). In this case, if the "Add list in answers to bad requests" is check, the list of all possible files to request will be added to the reply.
- Text to add if not member: it is the text that will be added to answers if the one who made the request is NOT a member (his or her email is not in the members list). Invite them to use their member e-mail or to become a member if they are not! You can leave it blank if your server is open to any body.
- Text to send with the list of shared files: it is the text that will be sent just before the list of all files that can be requested.
- Text to send if max files per day is reached: is the text received by a member who reached the maximum number of files that can be requested daily. Invite them to try again the day after.
If you are not on a permanent connection, you can set Autosend to start and stop your dial up connection when needed. Thus you won’t loose money being online longer than needed.- Launch internet connection before checking mail: check this box if you want Autosend to launch your internet connection before checking for new mails, Autosend will also disconnect after the job is done. This can only work under Windows NT, 2000 or XP.
- Connection name: the name of the connection you dial to connect to Internet, this is the connection that Autosend will use. This name can be found in the Control panel / Network and Dial-up connections.
- Login: the login for your dial-up connection
- Password: the password for your dial-up connection. It is stored encrypted in autosend.ini.
- Find files offline to optimize online time: check this box if you are on a dial up connection and allow Autosend to start and stop your connection, thus your online time will be reduced, Autosend will only connect when it has mail to check or files are ready to be sent.
This mode allows associating a little picture to a file when you send the list of shared files. For example if you share high quality pictures you may want to show a low quality preview picture of your work when sending your list of pictures. Your customers will be able to have an idea of what you share without having to download the full quality picture. You can also check the examples webpage. You just need to enter the extension(s) of your preview pictures. When Autosend will create a list of files, it will check automatically if a file with the same name but with this extension exists and if it finds one it will add the picture in the list. 2 modes are existing: 1 = the preview picture is in the same folder as the shared file but the extension is not the same (for example you share myhouse.pdf and the preview picture is myhouse.jpg, in this case it would be interesting not to put the extension of the preview pictures in the allowed extensions of the General properties tab, so that the preview picture is not seen as a shared file), 2 = the preview picture is in a subfolder called "preview". (This mode can be interesting if you would like to use the same extension for the shared file and the preview file.)
- Extensions of preview pictures: the possible extensions of the preview pictures, they must be separated by a "," if there are several ones.
- Mode choice:
- no preview: if you do not want to add pictures to your list of files or if you do not use lists.
- Mode 1: the preview picture and the corresponding file are in the same folder.
- Mode 2: compared to the shared files, the preview pictures are in a subdirectory called "preview".
Autosend can also understand some commands. These commands (all optional) allow the user to receive a list of shared files, a list of folders, a list of files in a folder, to create folders, to delete files or folders or to execute a command. See also the "examples of use" on the webpage.
- ?list: if checked, a request with subject "?list" will give you the list of all shared files
- ?list nameofafolder: sends a list of all shared files in the directory nameofafolder.
- ?lisf: sends the list of all shared directories
- ?mkd nameofafolder: creates the directory nameofafolder (an upload directory must have been set for the user), it is also possible to make a ?mkd nameofafolder\nameofsubfolder: all non existing folders will be created
- ?del nameoffile: deletes the file, also allowed: ?del nameofafolder\file if the file is in a subdirectory, ?del nameofafolder deletes the folder. Be cautious with this command, do not let any body delete files on your computer. Of course, only shared files can be deleted.
- ?find yyyyy: sends the list of all shared files which names include yyyyy.
- ?new or ?new date: gives the list of shared files created (or modified) during the current day or created (or modified) after the given date (the given date needs to match the date format given in the "General properties")
- ?exec command: executes the given command, this can help you have a remote access on one of your other computers. Caution: the command must have an authorized extension, be careful with viruses if you allow uploads...
- Group of people allowed to request http files: Autosend can download a file from internet and send it back as attachment to someone who requested it. This feature can be disabled or limited to members only. To request an HTTP file, one should send a mail to the server with subject "http://www.domain.com/file.ext" (without "").
- Use HTTP proxy: check this box if you need a proxy to access internet. Also fill the proxy address, port, and login / password if your proxy requires authentication.
- Addresses: enter individual addresses of people who will use the folder monitoring feature.
- Folders: for each email address, specify the folder(s) to monitor. When a file is created or modified in these folders, the list is sent automatically to the email address. Do not forget to share this folder so that the user will be able to request the new or modified file(s).
HOW IT WORKS
Once the parameters are set press the OK button, a window will appear telling you what the program is doing.
Server side: the program will check for new mail every "polling time" minutes. When a mail is received the program checks if the sender can have access to files, then the program looks in the shared directories (and subdirectories) to check if the file is there, if it is there (and it complies with the extensions filter) the file is sent as an attachment in the reply. If the file is not there a mail is sent asking the sender to check his spelling (your own text in deed). If the sender is not a member a mail is sent to tell him to use his member email or to contact the list owner (your own text in deed). If the sender is in the ignore list or the subject of the request does not comply with the extensions filter then no answer at all is sent and the request is deleted (this feature deletes spam automatically). If the mail is an upload the file may be saved locally if all security checks pass. If it is a command the appropriate answer is sent.
The "Clean and refresh" menu (right click on the current status panel): if you are between two mail checks you can refresh the main window in order to know how much time is left until next check. It also cleans the window.
The "Preferences" menu: you can use this menu to go back to the configuration panel.
The "Check for new mail now" menu: click it if you do not want to wait until next check. All your accounts will be checked for new mails.
The " Help" menu: open this help file.
The "Log" menu: you can see the actual log file as .CSV file to make your statistics. The CSV file shows the logs by date, email of who did the request, member or not, requested file, operation result (file found, file not found, list request, bad request, non member, multiple request of same file, quota reached, sender in ignore list) and sending result (sent or not sent (connection problem with SMTP server...)). The results.csv file should open automatically. If not, you can find it in Autosend installation directory. You can also ask to delete the log file when Autosend exits.
The "About" menu: get here all information you need. Get here the key needed for your registration.
The "Skins" menu: lets you choose the skin you want, additional skin packs can be added or made. See http://www.javootoo.com for more information.
The "Suspend / Resume" menu: lets you pause the execution of Autosend.
The "Send list" menu: lets you send lists of shared files to people.
The "Send email to members" menu: lets you send an email to selected members.
The "Create list of shared files" menu: lets you create a html list of all shared files. You can then put this list on internet if you want.
The "Private messages" menu: lets you read the private messages sent to your server. A private message is a received mail with subject starting with "?msg".
Client side: just send a mail to the address specified by the server owner. The subject can be the filename or subdirectory + filename as it appears in the reply to a ?list request. For example to request a file called test.mp3 that is in a subdirectory called mp3 the subject can be "mp3\test.mp3" or "test.mp3" (without quotes). In case there are multiple files with same name in different subdirectories you have to include the subdirectory in order to receive the correct file. You can also ask for <1440>test.mp3 if you do not want files bigger than 1440000 bytes. 1440 is the good size to put files on floppies. If you asked to split a big file into small ones then you have to save all small pieces in a directory and run the one with the .exe extension (it is a Winrar self extractable archive). If the files are provided with a .bat, just execute it to reassemble the files.
To upload files to the server: attach the file to your mail and send it to the server with subject: ">up<name of file.ext". The name in the subject must be exactly the same as the attached file. You can also upload to an existing subdirectory by sending the file with subject ">up<subdirectory\filename.ext" (without""). Easy, isn't it ?
To send commands, just send a mail with subject "?mkd folder1" to create a directory, or "?mkd folder1\folder2" to create a directory and subdirectory. "?del filename" or "?del folder\file name" (without "") to delete a file, a folder can also be deleted like this. To get the list of shared files just send a mail with subject "?list" or "?list folder name" to get only the list of files in a directory. To get the list of folders just send an email with the subject "?lisf". ?new and ?find commands exist also. See commands.
To request a file on internet, just send an email with subject "http://www.domain.com/subdomain/filewanted.ext" If the file is available, then Autosend will go on internet, download it and send it back as email.
To send a private message to a system owner, just send an email with subject "?msg xxxxxxxxxxxxx" where xxxxxxxxxxx is the real subject of your private message.
TIPS:Tips can be found directly on the website http://www.filesharingbyemail.com. You will find there tips and tricks, how to share all types of files, usual settings, how to find a free POP and SMTP email account, how to use Autosend from behind a firewall / proxy... You will also find examples of use (if you want to share your files with everybody or only some people, if you want everybody to have access to the same files or not, if you want to send the list of all your shared files...).
version 1.0 (2001/06)
- checks for mail on a pop3 server and sends the file asked in the mail subject as attachment. You can specify the pop3 server, the SMTP server as well as the ports used. You can specify a directory where the files you want to share are. You can specify a member’s list in order to accept queries only from friends or subscribers
- added some new features. Ability to log activity to a file, if you check the corresponding checkbox in the configuration panel, all activities will be logged in the autosend.log file based in the directory where you installed Autosend. Autosend has the Ability to send the list of all shared files. Two ways to request the list: by sending a mail with "!list" in the subject (without "") or by asking for a file that does not exist (the program answers "check your spelling" and adds the list). You can choose to show your list or not to your members thanks to a checkbox. Last feature: you can add subdirectories to the shared directory. All subdirectories are shared. For example if you share mp3 samples you are not obliged to put them all in the same directory, they can be organized by groups, lexical order... in subdirectories
- added new features. Now all texts sent by Autosend can be customized ! Autosend filters requests by extensions: if a mail is received and subject is not a file name or not a file with authorized extension then no reply is sent and the message is deleted (useful if your receive spam or a ad or error mail from your host). To share all files with 3 or 4 letters extensions put .???,.???? (a ? replaces 1 character). Added the display if connection problem or login / password mismatch. Added "clear and refresh" button on the main window: clears the windows and tells how much time left until next mail checking. Added a checkbox to start Autosend directly without the configuration window (only use if your configuration was set once). To undo this change, click the "Back to configuration button" and uncheck the box. "Back to configuration button" can be used to change some parameters, click the OK button to validate and restart Autosend for all changes to take effect. Should work better with Linux (but still not tested). Now most recent activity is at the top of the main window. Added a little program in order to extract goodies from the log file. Once executed you get a results.csv file, which can be opened, with Microsoft Excel.
- added some more security if the shared folder is mistyped (cASe SenSitIvE). It's now forbidden to share the root folder. Add of a new feature: you can add a limit of maximum number of files sent to one member per day. 2 pros: 1 = in case of abuse the number of files sent can be limited, 2 = Autosend does not send a file if the last one sent is the same. It prevents problems with people sending 10 times the same request. If you do not want to use these 2 features, just put "-1" in the appropriate box of the configuration window. if you just want to use feature 2 put a big number in the box (100, 1000 ...). If feature 1 is activated and a member reaches his quota the Autosend sends a mail telling him he has to wait until the next day to receive new files, the file is not sent.
- just corrected a bug that prevents sometimes a mail from being processed and deleted on the server. Also added the extract14OfficeXP.exe in case the results.csv file you get from extract14.exe is not good looking in Excel. The problem comes from a bug in Excel2000: it opens CSV files as if the separator is a "," but it saves the files with separator ";", normally it should open and save the files with ";" separator. This bug is corrected in ExcelXP. Use extract14.exe or extract14OfficeXP.exe depending which version of Excel you are using (the targeted result is to see results.csv with each information in a new column).
- correction of a bug when sending the list of files, the list of all files was sent, even the ones that did not have the good extensions (but they could not be requested). 2 new features: a button "update files list" in the main window: there is no more need to stop and start Autosend to take into account new files recently added to the share directory, now just add the files to the shared directory and click the new button. 2nd feature: a "ignore list", you can add here mails of people you do not want to give access, their mail will just be deleted and they won't receive any answer. You can put an exact mail address or even a domain name ! (examples: firstname.lastname@example.org, @spam.org for all people whose mail finishes by @spam.org, @spam. for all people whose address contains @spam. i.e. anyone whose address finishes with @spam.org, @spam.com... or just toto if someone you do not like has multiple accounts email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org...) The list is just like the member list, one address by line (or sub-address), no blank line even at the end of the file. If you don't want to use an ignorelist then put none.txt in the corresponding box of the configuration window.
- added a new feature: Autosend can now split files into smaller ones before sending them. This can be useful if your mail server does not accept big attachments. For this feature to work, the server needs Winrar installed on his computer. The new requests are made like this (old requests with just the filename still work of course): "<sizeperfile>filename.extension". each piece of the file will be sizeperfile * 1000 bytes. typically to receive mails with size lower than 2MB a good value of sizeperfile is 1440 (example <1440>thelastverygoodmp3.mp3). Autosend sends a self-extractable Rar archive: you just need to put all the pieces in the same directory and launch the piece with the .exe extension and voila ! the file is here. The small pieces can now be deleted. On the server side a DOS window will appear each time Winrar is called. This is annoying but I could not do without it, just wait the window will disappear automatically. Now answers to !list are made alphabetically and the size of the files is displayed. You need to add a [rardir] section to your autosend.ini if you do not want to take the new one provided. Write "NoWinrar" if you do not plan to use winrar (Autosend won't be able to split files into smaller pieces) or the installation directory of Winrar (by default c:\Program Files\WinRar).
- small update to fix some problems that can happen if connection with SMTP server is lost or if Autosend is stopped while processing messages.
- correction of a bug if you used the files per day feature and you shared files whose names contain commas. Now Autosend remembers the size and location of your Autosend window each time it is started. Dates and time are displayed in a friendly way. Ability to make your server public: if this box is checked (and you do not use a memberlist and you authorize !list) then Autosend sends me a mail and your server address will be published on this website.
- changed the look and improved the MMI. Autosend now runs with Sun’s java virtual machine. With even more protection against improper usage, you can set a maximum limit to your attachment size. The soft to process the logfile is now included in the main window. Autosend can now send messages as HTML files which is very convenient for answers to !list. It is now a shareware, you have to give me some money if you want to have the full features after the evaluation period.
- improved the MMI (menu bar). Autosend now has a built-in file splitter to easily send big files into small pieces, just save all the pieces and the reassembler bat file into a directory and run the batch to get back the original file. The POP3 methods were changed in order to gain speed and prevent connection reset. Autosend was tested and work with http tunnels (you can use Autosend from behind a firewall / proxy) but these tunnels are slow and with web2pop (a program to use web accounts as pop servers). See tips page for more information.
- added a button to check mail immediately. - added protection against mail servers: sometimes subjects are truncated so requests are trashed, now Autosend checks if it can not be a good request that could have been truncated. - now non-members can have access to some files, you can now share files with members and files with the entire world with only one Autosend running. - it is now possible to UPLOAD files. To upload a file just attach it to a mail and send it to the server with subject >up<filename.ext or >up<subdir\filename.ext, only people in the uploaders list (if one) can upload and only files that match the extension filters can be uploaded. - Autosend can dial-up your Internet connection and disconnect when it has finished its job, in order to be connected only when necessary.
- look and feel changes, with useful right clicks. - added the ability to define a different folder for each member. - ability to add a preview picture corresponding to each file in the list of files (see the preview tab). - the server now understands new commands ?list (=!list), ?list nameoffolder, ?lisf (list of folders), ?mkd nameoffolder (create a directory, for servers which allow uploads only), ?del filename or foldername (with path or not, only for servers which allow uploads). Servers can allow or not these commands. - built-in SMTP server (Autosend sends mails directly without having to know your ISP SMTP server). - ability to send the list of shared files from within the program. - the list of files sent has been improved a lot (by directory not anymore alphabetically). - customization in every language is possible ! (thanks to language packs, for the moment only French and English exist). - some bugs fixed (too long POP connection could imply problems).
version 2.4 (2003-01-04)
- ability to share several directories, useful to share different things without needing to change your directories structure. - ability to check several email accounts in the same Autosend window (so it is possible to have several servers on the same computer). - added command ?find xxxxx which lists all shared files which name contains xxxxx. - minor bugs fixed. - ability to send the program to the systray when the window is closed so that the program can run in the background (this feature can be removed by modifying the parameter supportsystray in autosend.ini). For those who share a large amount of files and want to redirect the ?list commands to ?list nameofadirectory (for example a directory that contains index files) it is possible to specify this nameofadirectory in the .ini files after the parameter hooklisttofolderlist. - bug of the 100% UC taken for non registered users fixed
version 2.5 (2003/10)
- ?exec command to execute programs remotely. - ?new and ?new date command to get a list of files created after the given date or created during the current day. - skins support. - big simplification of the configuration window. - relentless effort to improve the performance. - 2 threads running concurrently to be faster. - custom date format and hour format. - suspend / resume function to pause Autosend. Bug of creation of lists corrected in v2.51.
version 2.6 (2004/03)
- spanish language pack added. - DNS server removed, a new way was found to discover it automatically (if you have problem it can still be set manually in autosend.ini). - added SMTP authentication (PLAIN, LOGIN) - added ability to request HTTP files (possible restrictions + proxy if needed). - added the find offline, send online feature, for people using a dial up connection the time when Autosend is looking for a file in the shared directories is now spent offline. - changed the configuration panel user interface once again, much nicer and eats less resources.
version 2.7 (2005/07)
- IMAP mail retrieving. - security options (SSL, TLS) for incoming and outgoing mails.
version 2.8 (2006/03)
- need java 5.0 min. - ability to send mails to members. - ability to receive private messages. - ability to create a webpage with all shared files. - aggressive extensions control to delete spam quickly.
version 2.9 (2006/09)
- better uploads handling, - colored status, - multiple uploads with ?put command.
version 3.0 (2007/06)
- need java 6.0 min, - update to have the same level of service on all platforms (Windows, Linux...) => new email, open file, sytem tray..., - check for new version on web, - folder monitoring, - creation of the list of share files by line of command.
EVALUATION LIMITATIONS:You can register on the website http://www.filesharingbyemail.com. Different types of registration exist: one version registration, lifetime registration, sponsoring (I can add your ad in the mails sent by the evaluation version). Evaluation limits are: limit to 10 files maximum per day, after 30 days a reminder will appear and suspend Autosend activity until it is closed and your server will become public (!list enabled, no members list nor ignorelist and address published on website). Some registration possibilities are very inexpensive, register to have information, updates, and you can also ask for a feature you need ! Just register and I will send you your registered version. Registration is held by shareit.com, which protects your privacy, has secured servers and pays back if you do not get your registered version or change your mind before getting it. You can pay with 30 different currencies and explanations are available in 6 languages. If you are in the euro area and want to pay by check, just contact me.
DISTRIBUTIONThe program is distributed as an .exe installer for Windows, but it can run under Linux as it was developed with Java! Make some tests before using it, take the time to set up a new email account for using with Autosend. Files to run under LINUX or MAC are available on the website.
This distribution inludes:
- the Skin Look and Feel and its themes that let you design and install skins easily for java softs, see license
- the Kunststoff skin a beautiful skin for java, see license
Send me your feedback or help requests and include me in your members lists!